Sunday 22 June 2014

Fukaura: Sunny Solstice Edition

One final road trip across Aomori before I leave. I needed to complete this last destination goal of mine, as it's a much more affordable one than trying to get down to Okinawa at this point. Next time, Gadget, next time.


We took a chance, during the rainy season, to make the trek out to Fukaura by car. I had dropped a pin on my "Map of places to check out in Aomori", and I didn't quite get to see what I had wanted to when I went there, via rail, with Ashley in April 2013.  It paid off big time. It really could not have gone any better, I almost said that a few times while we were on the move, but I didn't dare jinx the weather into bringing a storm, like last time. So, I celebrated silently.

Until now.

Jade met me at my home in Shichinohe, and I finished loading up all the things I thought I might need (umbrella being the most important thing). Forgetting such an item almost *guarantees* a downpour, similar to how bringing along a change of warm clothes will bring on warm weather. My good luck charms safely stowed in the back of my black charge, we set off to pick up Keri and Dave in nearby Tohouku-machi. The weather as bright and sunny as our spirits as we drove along the coast and revelled in the beauty that is Aomori. Mutsu bay shimmered in the sun as we zipped along past the innumerable "ほたて" signs (including some for Scallop ice cream. No thanks, Japan. However for those with less... discerning tastebuds, I believe you can purchase some at the Road Station (道の駅/michi no eki) in Asamushi-onsen, and in Aomori city.

We took a break from being in the car around 13:30, and climbed about on the rocks near Senjojiki (千畳敷) station. There are a few different places with similar rock formations along the coast (but this one had a parking lot and bathroom right next to it). It felt great to stretch our legs and climb about on the rocks. 


Afterwards we stopped for lunch at the first grocery store on the main highway, being the super-classy travellers that we are then made our way to the destination which prompted this journey in the first place 白神ガラス工房HOO (Shirakami Glass Studio Hoo) near WeSPa station. There are a couple of blog posts about designing your own hanko (personal seal/stamp), however we were unable to since none of us were fluent enough in Japanese. Still, it was neat to see the glass artists at work in their glass-walled studio. Plus, when you spend ¥2000 at the gift shop, you get to pick a random bonus item through a draw. I won an apple with a blue tornado inside. Hoo hoo, indeed.
Our next destination was 日本キャニオン (Japan Canyon) located on the west side of Shirikami mountain. The internet claims it's Japan's Grand Canyon, but it was pretty tiny. Spirit Sands Desert in Manitoba covers way more ground than Japanyon, but it was still nice to hike through. We parked in the lot by the 日本キャニオン sign and made our way along the path. The bed of the canyon was worn away from the spring rains, but there was enough trail on either side of the stream that we could follow it no problem.
Lizard!
Once in the forest, there were some smooshy spots, and there are very few signs (re: 0) along the way to let you know that you're not on the big loop which visits all 33 ponds in the area. However, once we reached the sign for 影坂の池 (Pond of Shadow Slope), I was able to use the map I had saved to assure us we weren't lost.

 The next pond we came upon was 小夜の池 (Pond of Evening) and then 日暮の池 (Pond of Sunset/Twilight). It was a great time of day to be at the latter, as we got some beautiful pictures there.

The trail spat us out back on the road and we walked back down to the car along it, passing by a few shops, restaurants, 王池 (King Pond)... and a sign that said something about くま. Upon closer inspection, we realized there was a black bear, chowing down on some carrots, in a tiny cage. Now that I've sat down and translated the sign,「キケンですのでクマにエサをあたえないください」"do not feed the bear because it is dangerous".
um... 'kay... :/
While I'm glad we didn't meet this fellow while we were walking in the woods, I'd have preferred to not have met him at all.

Just to add to my Sign collection, only you can prevent forest fires...
森村を大切に= Cherish the forest. たき火=Bonfire タバコ=tabacco
Next stop: 青池 (Blue Pond), the place that drew me to this part of our adventure in the first place. Each of the previous pools had a bit of a green-hue to them. Sometimes algae related. Truely, the other ponds were quite lovely in their own way. However the dramatic blue colour of the water of this pond has to be seen in person to be truly appreciated. Really stunning. Especially as dusk approached and the golden sunlight dripped through the leafy canopy above.
 We stopped for a photo op near WeSPa (took the cabin road away from the Onsen parking lot and stopped by some benches). The sun still had a ways to go, and I was determined to revisit the location of my last visit. So, we hopped back into my car and raced the setting sun. (By "raced" I mean 'the speed limit and get blinded by the setting sun, yet still passed by locals who don't seem not mind not being able to see what's ahead of them).

We made it with plenty of time.
During my first big Japanese adventure I watched Sunrise atop Mt. Fuji. Seems fitting, as my time in Aomori comes to an end, to watch the Sunset over the Sea of Japan.

Satisfied with our snapshots, lightly seasoned by the salty-seawater, we set out in search of supper. It was a fairly uneventful drive back, save for the slight detour in Goshogawara due to some major fireworks being shot off near the bridge we were supposed to take (GIANT FLAMING DRAGONS~!). My eclectic tunes prompted snickers (from myself) and the occasional sing along (not just by me), the journey passed by quite effortlessly. I was back home by 23:00, and more than ready to call it a night.


No comments:

Post a Comment