Monday 29 July 2013

The Cove

Have I told you guys I love to swim? If not, here it goes. I love to swim. I used to work at summer camp where I got to swim several times a day. During my visit to Canada, you better believe I jumped in that lake while I was there. 
Several times. 
Cold water be damned.


...actually the water in War Eagle was beautiful. I was expecting slap-in-the-face-with-a-bag-of-ice and instead it was just refreshing.
So when I was told that there were going to be a few folks heading up north to the Shimokita peninsula, you better believe I wanted in. The day may have been overcast, but I still managed to get enough sun to turn a little pink/red and have my freckles emerge once again. The two hour drive was well worth it. Sometimes I forget how much I love to drive. But the kilometers just flew by... especially as I listened to my new favorite podcast. Do yourself a favor and check out Thrilling Adventure Hour. John DiMaggio, Nathan Fillion, James Urbaniak, Neil Patrick Harris and others are involved. Dooo iiiiiiit!

...ok you don't have to do it *right now* Yeesh. Just make sure you do once you're finished reading this and checking out my purdy pictures. Tori explained to me that there had been attempts to make this area a tourist destination, but the land was too unstable for paths to be laid, so the project was abandoned. I am not exactly sad about this, as I much prefer quiet-beauty to loud-touristy.

I met up with everyone at Kyle's place, and we grabbed some supplies from the grocery store before heading out. Armed with food (some regrettable, some not so much) and bevvies we set off. It was about a half hour drive or so, and we came to a fishing harbour. We went the rest of the way on foot.
Mr Mamushi
On the way, Evan and I spotted a snake. I *believe* have properly identified it as a Japanese Mamushi. It lunged at us a little, and the internet says it's venomous. I got a couple of good shots of it from outside of snapping range.
While the path may not be complete, there was a solid concrete platform which was good for diving and jumping off of. It also proved a good place for Tori and Kimberly to teach Kyle some moves from their Tahitian dance classes. We also practiced some interesting water entry techniques and forms. There were flips and spins but no 'flops. The sky may have been grey, but the weather was nice and warm, as was the water. Minimal waves came into the bay, so there was fun floating to be done, and the current would float you back into the bay if you swam out towards the mouth.

I'm not sure what else to say about the next pictures, so I'll just let you have a gander and enjoy them...
As all good things must come to an end, so did our day at the water. There was rumbling and light rain started, so we made our way back to the car and, eventually, dinner. As we treked back to the car, our passage was supervised by a Japanese Serow (goat/antelope), Evan and I climbed some boulders, and I found the remains of an urchin, whose needles had fallen out.
I am not sure what that marker says, so, if anyone can read it, please leave a comment. Haha. Also, as you can see above, there are scooter-eating-shrubbery in Japan.
Rawk climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment