Thursday 11 April 2013

April Adventures Across Japan Phase 3: Profit!

Aomori Day 3: Hirosaki Hijinx!



'another early morning, but that meant we had lots of time to explore Hirosaki. I really love this city, although I have yet to drive around in it. Perhaps that's why I still love it. Haha. I've been driven around it, but I always take the train out here when I visit. Saves me having to find parking and navigate the helluv narrow streets and lanes that make it up. Some of my favorite JETs live out here, and it's great to hang out with them... but they were all at work, so we were left to our own devices.


For reasons that still remain unexplained to me, there are no 'breakfast' restaurants in Japan. (if you know better, please tell me) so we stopped off at Starbucks, because it seems to be one of the only places that's even open before 10am. What the heck, Japan?
What. The. Heck.
Bakeries are open, but, that's not a sit-down-and-savour-your-coffee-while-you-slowly-wake-up places. Those are grab-n-go. 
So, now you know why I keep posting breakfast photos in Starbucks. I'd *like* to check out local breakfast joints, but there aren't any.
I also miss bacon. I don't eat a lot of bacon, infact, I think I had a package in my freezer for a ridiculously long time before I moved out... hell, it might still be in there (I was living at my Gramma's while saving for a house. Don't judge me) so, family, if it's there, dig in. :P
But I miss the salty goodness that is North American-style bacon. They just don't do it right here.
Anytime I've had it here, it just tastes like ham. :(

Fuled up and ready to go, we followed the handy-dandy signs (a nice change from having to consult my smartphone for directions) and made our way through the drizzly day towards the Hirosaki Castle. We made some stops along the way at the Tourist Center, the old library and had a look at the miniature versions of Hirosaki buildings. We even went in and checked out the Nebuta float displays and saw some creepy dummies... and a triforce!








The skies were starting to clear as we made our way to the castle grounds, which was awesome because my umbrella decided it didn't want to work for some reason. Stranger still, is how it mends itself if I just leave it be for a bit. (no idea). Preparations were underway for Blossom Viewing (花見 hanami), and they wanted us to pay to walk around closer to the castle tower... under the bare trees. 

Um... no thanks. We're good.

So, we had bad timing for Cherry Blossoms, they were done down South and hadn't even started in the North. Well shit.

Still, though, we had a good wander and then decided to make our way to Big Boys for lunch. 食べ飲み放題 FTW! (have you been paying attention? I *know* I've explained that kanji before... ;) ) Along the way, we checked out a few shops (we're getting good at spotting the 2nd hand/recycle shops) and found a few treasures.

Our next stop was the store-previously-known-as ゲーム倉庫 (Game warehouse) now it's (萬屋, よろずや, Yorozuya, if ever you need to find it in Hirosaki). Fellow JETs boast the Hirosaki location as being the best one there is. I never fail to find something when I am there, so, I suppose they're correct. 
Seriously, it's *dangerous* for me to go in that store... Almost Planet of Sound** dangerous.

Anyhoo, the weather cleared up and it was a lovely day for walking around town, stopping in random shops. We even checked out the back room (read: adult) of a DVD shop and now have photographic evidence that they do, in fact, sell previously worn ladies underpants... and for, like, ¥6300. O.o Yup, about $65 for a pair of used skivvies. :P~~~

Stay classy, Japan!

After walking around all day, we welcomed the train ride back to Shichinohe, and looked forward to an evening of relaxing and tasty bevvies. :)

Don't be fooled by it's appearance... it's a school. *taps nose*



Thus far the best example of Engrish on a bento box that I have encountered. We filled it up with plastic sushi. :9

(** Planet of Sound is a locally owned and operated New & Used Record/Movie/Video Game shop that I used to frequent in Winnipeg, rarely failing to drop $100 per visit. Then I got a job there. There is a huge stack of stuff waiting for me there that I can't wait to get my hands on when I next pop 'round for a visit oboyoboyoboyoboy)

No comments:

Post a Comment