Tuesday 9 February 2016

Hello Blog, it has been far FAR too long since we've last chatted. How have you all been? I am currently on Stewart Island, waiting to see what the weather decides it wants to be like today. So far, we've had a good drop of rain first thing this morning, now it's windy and partly cloudy. Who knows what's in store for late this afternoon. I spent a good long time on Banks Peninsula, regarding which I have every intention of doing at least one solid entry. I had many adventures there, walked to many beautiful places, met some really awesome people, made some really great friends, lost some-not-so-great-ones. Worked weekends, managed a hostel, “vice-managed” another hostel, got conflicting information from various immigration office representatives (don't worry, I'm here legally, and shall remain so until the end of May)

[Weather update: the blue sky has gone and the clouds have taken over] I've gone from having 'too much time on my hands' to 'my only quiet time is when I'm in the toilet' and am currently at a good place with a balance between the two. One of my phones keeps track of my movements via GPS (creepiness aside, it's cheaper than buying myself a fitbit). Apparently I average 6886 steps per day, though yesterday I went on a very long walk and did an estimated 29800 steps. While staying at Onuku Farm hostel I started jogging again (I figger if I don't have time to go on a several-hour-walk, surely I can find 30 minutes to jog a wee bit) and managed to go from 29 minutes to “Watergate” and back down to 23:03. (Times did seem to vary depending on how many gates I needed to open/close). Sadly since leaving there and departing from run-bud-Nils I have fallen off that wagon again. Still, though, nearly 30K steps yesterday is nothing to sneeze at.

Stewart Island is lovely, the weather has been pretty good, and I'm glad I was able to come down during the summer. I've had a few beach days during my short time here (9ish days) and keep burning my nose (Mum, I promise I've been putting sunblock on. ) I've even gone for a brisk swim in waters off the North Shore.

Wood Pigeons are in denial about their weight and land on the smallest branches they can find. It's hilarious to watch the tree bend and them to flap their wings in surprise. Tuis are plentiful on the island, and I've even managed to see them in the right light so their true colours shine through.

Goals for the island:

1) see a wild Kiwi (bird, not the fruit or person. Smartass)
2) do one of the multi-day walks (while I'd love to do the 10 day Northern Circuit, I think I should have a walking buddy, so I may just stick with the regular Rakiura 3-day track)
3) see the southern lights (might be impossible at this time of year. I completely accept this)

I'm so glad that I made the trip down here, even though it's pretty much the coldest place I could go for the end of Summer. Haha. Despite that, I've been wearing shorts damn near everyday, to the surprise of some people around me. You can take the Canadian out of Canada, but you can't melt the ice in her veins.

I shall do my best to fill in the gaps of my travels, but know better than to promise when they'll be posted. It's hard to sit in front of the computer when the sun in shining and there are trails to be walked, and the rainy days are when everyone is inside and feeling chatty.


That's all for now, faithful readers. Thanks for stopping by.

As a parting gift, I give you a video of me swimming with some wild Hector dolphins in the Akaroa Harbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment