Wednesday 3 April 2013

April Adventures Across Japan; Phase 1 in Tokyo: Ashley's Arrival

Tokyo Day 3
Super-secret entryway to the Hostel

It was a cloudy day in Tokyo, so I spent the morning exploring the Asakusa subway station and the shops in the Ekimise. You can get a view of the Tokyo Skytree from there... when it's not cloudy and raining... so I didn't get a very good look. Haha.



Getting to Narita Airport is helluv easy via the Asakusa subway (one train. And a fairly cheap one, too). Since I didn't have a JR pass, it didn't matter to me which line I took to get there. So I opted for the direct route. It took about an hour, but I was even there a little early... which... just just meant that I had to wait a little longer for Ashley to make it through customs. It seems I blocked how long it took me to get through it when I arrived, so, perhaps I should have known it would be awhile. Thanks to wifi, she was able to get a hold of me and let me know where she was, so I made sure I had a tasty beverage waiting for her on the other side. Gotta love being able to drink in public in this country. :D

Because Ashley got a JR East pass, we wanted to make sure we made as much use of it as possible, so, we took a bit of a different route back to Asakusa. This meant that when we got back, it was dinner-ish time, so, once we got settled (I'd changed rooms from a private one to a dorm...) and Ashley freshened up, we grabbed a bite to eat at a little 'cafe' called Gossip that was just across the street from the hostel.




Try as we might to run between the drops, we got a little waterlogged while getting around.

With bellies full of delicious curry (I just can't help it... if I see it on the menu and either can't read or am not feeling other stuff on the menu, that's my default, curry rice.). I think we grabbed a couple of tasty bevvies from the 7/11 near by and went back to the hostel... but ultimately decided (though it may have been with a gentle push from the bevvies) that we should go out and explore lest the evening be wasted. So we sought out a watering hole called Devil Craft in Kanda. Kanda is definately a place I want to explore again, as we only had a brief glimpse and there seemed to be many interesting places to investigate. But beer was the name of the game, and what a delicious game it was. I had glass of the Minamishinsyu Apple Hop and some Left Hand Black Jack Porter (I'm afraid my notes are not much better than that... but I remember them being quite delicous... the apple hop was espcially yummy, all sweet and apply, so, more like a cider than a beer. Omnomnom). Their deep dish pizza was great, too, lots of toppings, great dough to topping ratio.

A great end to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment